Saturday 17 September 2011

The Single Mum

There are many reasons why a woman may find herself in the situation of raising her children alone. She may be tragically widowed, or divorced. She may have made a mistake many years ago when she was still young and foolish, recklessly not thinking about the consequences of her actions. Or...she may be that way by choice.

I always find myself torn when it comes to the topic of single mumhood. On the one hand, I know that sometimes it isn't a situation these women would willingly place themselves in and yet they take the challenge and follow through as best they can. On the other hand, there are those women who I like to call the baby boom brigade, who willingly pop out babies and put themselves into a situation where they raise their children alone.

I'd be lying if I said this didn't annoy me. It is generally an accepted fact that a child needs two parents. A mother and a father. Each parent brings something valuable to the child's life, something that they will carry through their lives and will shape the person they become in the future. Of course, there are those women who believe they can be both a mother and a father to their child and, with all due respect, unless you grow a penis, you can't be a father.

In today's society where feminism had led women to believe they are indestructible and capable of anything, it is a sadly common fact that more and more women are choosing to raise a child alone and for no other reason than that they want to and they know they can.

These women above all else never cease to amaze me with their selfishness and complete disregard to the tiny life they rob of the valuable bond that only a father can give.

I also find myself somehow torn when it comes to women who made a mistake. Mistakes can happen and none of us are free from our baggage, though some weighs more than others. But it is the mindset that follows that makes me sometimes wonder. It is true that in some of these situations, the father isn't blameless. He may have made the choice to leave the child's life. It can happen. But, my question in these situations is always why these women can't admit to their own mistakes? It seems they are all to ready to shift the entire blame onto the father's shoulders. It is these children who will grow up hearing on a regular basis that their father was the scum of the earth.

Personally, I always believe their are two sides to a story and with the father absent, it is all too easy for the mother to swoop in for the kill and defame his character, not caring that your child is standing their listening and being force fed these words of hatred. But, perhaps even more importantly, in denying or forfeiting any wrong you have done yourself, what are you teaching your child? That it's ok to go through life always blaming others for your mistakes? That it's ok to never stand up and take responsibility for your own actions?

It baffles me.

I find when I raise my opinions or objections, the disgruntled mother in question will instantly leap on the defensive and ask me what gives me the right to make any judgement.

It's simple. What gives me the right is simple. I am a single mother. I am also a single mother who made mistakes. I hold my hands up and admit them and take responsibility for my actions that have led to me being a single mother before I've even turned 30. I don't stand here loud and proud and boast endlessly about how I am raising my child without any help from anyone. I'm extremely fortunate to have a job that pays enough that I am able to support myself and my child. But I'm not delusional in any way. I can't give my son everything he needs. I'm just his mother. I can't give him that fatherly guidance and support. I can only give him mine.

For women who willingly enter into this situation, choosing to be a single mother, I can only say one thing. Your delusion that you are all your child needs is beyond arrogant. If you are denying the father the right to his child then you are willingly and selfishly robbing your child of that natural bond that he or she needs to become a well rounded adult. I'll add the disclaimer that unless there are extreme circumstances where the father is an actual threat to the child, or if he has disappeared without a trace, quite literally MIA, then you really have no right to keep your child from bonding with his father.

I can only say that no matter how much you believe you are everything your child needs, at the end of the day, you can only be his or her mother. You can only do the best you can and hope with everything in you, that at the end of the day, this will be enough.

It saddens me to say that out of all the feminists in this world, the baby boom brigade are by far some of the worst offenders and yet they are also the ones raising the next generation. It's horrifying to think about.

"Words like feminism or democracy scare me. They are words with barnacles on them, and you can't see what's underneath." ~William Collins~

6 comments:

  1. The lesson we must all learn is not all single mothers are the same. There are loads of women who are heroically struggling to cope with a situation not of their making. There are others as you say who are just feckless who, like the men they cavort with, damage themselves, their children and society.

    We must be careful not to lump all single mothers together in the same category, in the same way not every seperated dad is feckless.

    But there are always scapegoats wherever you go in history. Before it was single mothers who were singled out. Today, thanks to feminism it tends to be fathers who are demonised. In the future it'll be someone else.

    Sorry for that long response. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely agree and I think I was careful in pointing that out. Situations happen, mistakes happen, it's not always black and white. My objection goes out directly to women who willingly put themselves into this situation for no other reason than that they want too.

    I agree feminism has demonised fathers and in a lot of cases the absent father is absent because of goverment laws and the mother demonising said father.

    Don't ever apologise for posting a vaild response. I always enjoy discussing things.

    Thanks for the comment.

    Sami

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand mistakes. Here in rural Mexico, I see a number of young women who trust their boyfriend who has promised to marry her. When she gets pregnant, he calls her a slut and leaves. I really feel for these young women.

    The ones that bug me, and I have seen them in Internet news articles, and blogs, are the ones who make a deliberate decision to have a kid, because time is passing and they need to have a kid NOW. Then, they assume they will find the hypothetical Mr. Right later at their convenience. They are morons, and they raise their kids with the same stupidity.

    I married a single mom myself, 36 years ago. Only after knowing her and her absolutely wonderful daughter for nearly 7 years. Overall, sad to say, I cannot recommend men marrying single moms. The statistics are just too negative. I know of not one other man who married a woman with kids who can say his stepchild is the best thing that ever happened to him.

    Anonymous age 69

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could say mine was even that excusable. Unfortunately mine was quite simply utter irresponsibility, otherwise known as the infamous "champagne night".

    Agree absolutely.

    I also agree with this. I would never recommend myself to any man, simply because I do have a child. I don't consider myself particularly bad dating material, but in today's society, relationships are hard enough. Add a child to that mix and it gets even harder. I do have my own thoughts and feelings about single mum dating, more specifically what the woman should do if she is lucky enough to find a man willing to date her. Maybe I should blog that at some point...we'll see. But yes, statistically speaking and this is due to the high level of women willingly placing themselves into this situation, or not having the sense to sort out their baggage first so they can enter into said relationship with their past where it belongs, in the past. I don't believe it's entirely impossible for it to work out, but the odds are against you and also, the more men get burned by these women, the less likely they will touch them with a 10 foot barge pole.

    In effect, it is always the majority who ruin it for the minority, but such is life, or c'est la vie.

    Thanks for commenting :)

    Sami

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since you know the truth about your own mistakes, in fact, you might be marriageable. But, you nailed it. The very large percentage of horror stories have dramatically reduced the odds of a man even bothering to find out what sort of woman you are.

    And, not all men are saints. If you found a man who could work with you and your child, there is always a possibility he is pure junk in his own case.

    Also, most single moms openly state their child(ren) come first. No man should ever marry a woman who says he is not tops on her priority list.

    Of course the kids need a lot, love, affection, discipline, and more.And, a married couple MUST work as a team to give the kids all they need. If a man can't do give the kids his top priority as a team member, he should not be a husband.

    However, the team must come first, and the team's first priority/task should be to work together to care for the kids. But, the husband must be part of the team, before the kids are. I hope this makes sense.

    And, the kids must accept him as part of the team. Again, if they can't, he should not be the husband. But, in most cases I know of, it was the mother who kept him off the team.

    Sort of like a Firefox ATM plug-in, not a husband and father.

    Anonymous age 69

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, you raise interesting points. Again I agree. Hang on, let me see if I can give a reasoned response here.

    Ok, the way I see it. When a man shows interest in you for a date, Instantly tell him that you do have a child and ask him if he's still interested in pursuing a date, knowing this. Always give the man the option right then and there of walking away if they choose too.

    If the man then chooses to pursue the date, then your child stays out of the relationship. They don't even feature. If a question is asked, answer, but keep it brief. As far as I'm concerned, that beginning stage of a relationship is between you and the man and no one else. You're a mother, but you're also a woman and it's the woman that the man wants to get to know. At that point in time, he doesn't care about your child or the mother you. And he shouldn't, it's between you and him. All I would ask in return is a tiny bit of understanding that while you'll do everything you can, sometimes things can happen and you realistically can't always do everything you'd like to, like drop everything and meet him if you can't find a babysitter. I would say to then offer the very sinply compramise of inviting him over once your kiddo is asleep and cooking him dinner and then snuggling on the couch. (I can't help it, I'm a snuggler) That is literally the only thing I would personally ask of the potential partner.

    If things move to the next stage and things start to get more serious, then broach the subject of meeting the child. If he's not ready, no problem, wait until he's ready.

    Once that stage has been crossed and the guy is ready to meet my son, then we move into the partnership for parenting. He's taking that step closer to taking on the father figure role and in first instance, it's exceedingly important to establish right then and there that the guy in question is an authority figure and part of a team with you. Your child has got to respect this man. It is important to encourage bonding, but never to force it. Encourage and never ever stand in the way of the man forming his own bond with the child that doesn't include you, that imo, is important. Establish the fact that this guy is to be listened too as an authority figure and not to be disrespected. The mother should never ever try to stand in the way of a natural and father/child bond potentially developing between the man and child.

    I would say that for me personally, the guy in question would stand at equal level to my son. They'd be equally important, just in very different ways, obviously, lol and both would stand at top priority level.

    The other comment I'd make in a situation like this is that the woman would have to be prepared to work extra hard to make sure that the man never felt expendeble. She'd have to put forth double the effort to make time for the man and always be prepared to meet him half way. If she's lucky enough to find a man willing to actually do all this then it stands to reason that she also accepts that this isn't going to be easy and she has got to work hard and put in as much as effort as is needed to make sure the man in question becomes part of the family and always feels wanted, needed and respected, not just by her, but by the kiddo.

    Wow, sorry about that long winded response. I kinda got into the zone there, but I do have pretty strong opinions on that matter. I hope that all kinda made sense and I didn't leave anything out.

    Thanks again for commenting :D

    Sami

    ReplyDelete